A Life Full of Surprises

A Life Full of Surprises
A story to me means a plot where there is some surprise. Because that is how life is - full of surprises. -Isaac B. Singer

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Break 2011... through Tuesday!


Spring Break in Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools this week has proven to be an exciting one thus far. We woke up Monday morning to none other than SNOW. I mean, REALLY? SNOW? It's almost April for goodness sakes and I can't think of a worse surprise than snow during Spring Break in North Carolina. Last week it was beautiful and 80 degrees. GEEZ! AND... to top it off, we're moving this week. Nothing like a week of snow... and rain... and moving for Spring Break. Gone are the days of bikinis, umbrella drinks, warm weather and staying up all night for a week of fun. (well I still stay up all night, but that's thanks to Tee - not Spring Break!) Now, Spring Break is a totally different kind of fun - at least this year! Whew...

Today I threw (literally) the kids in the car at approximately 4:48pm in an effort to make it to the post office by 5:00. I HAD to get two documents in the mail and well, I haven't been the most punctual person as of late. I've been a little more passive about things that matter and a little less passive about things that do. Um... not a good thing for this Type A gal! Anyway, back to the story. So the kids and I make it to the post office just in time. We attempt to go to the grocery store, but OOPS! I forgot my wallet. Silly me! Oh well, back home after a phone call to dear hubby to stop by and pick up the groceries. On the way home, I overheard the girls start arguing. While I clearly heard my mother's words in the back of my head, I tried to listen quietly. What my mom would have said at this point was "Girls! do you know how lucky you are to have a sister? I would have given anything to have a sister growing up. I know that you may dislike each other right now, but one day you'll be best friends. Quit arguing!" If she said this once growing up, she said it a million times. We'd roll our eyes and she'd just smile that arrogant smile... knowing good and well that she was right. That's probably one of the reasons that God gave her three girls :) While I continued to listen to the bickering, I let them solve it on their own and within minutes the giggling ensued and life was all good again for the Butler girls.

My reason for this story is because as CeCe and Patterson were giggling, I fast forwarded to the future and thought about how one day THEY would be best friends. (at least I hope they will) I also thought about my own sisters and how many days I wish I had them to ride around in the car with me. I'd never ask for a movie, I'd never argue with them, I'd just BE... oh and there would probably be lots of giggling...not probably, more like belly rolling laughter. It's funny how when you're little, you take things for granted like riding around all day every day with your sisters, but the older you get, long for those days again. I keep the words of my mom close in my heart because once again, she was right. I AM lucky to have sisters and we ARE best friends. I'm thankful God allowed me to give that gift to my girls and today was just one of many days that I realized it.




1 comment:

  1. I love this Miss! And I love you! And I seriously can't believe it snowed this week...WOW!

    ReplyDelete